Mildew versus Mold

Mold or mildew?  What exactly are the differences and what can or should be done about either of them?  Mildew is basically a milder, less harmful type of mold.  Although not harmful, mildew should be dealt with and can easily be eliminated with simple cleaning.  Mold, however, is a different story and can be very serious if not treated quickly and effectively. 

While mildew is white or gray in color with a powdery texture, mold dark in color and may be fuzzy or slimy in texture.  It is much more distinct than mold and easier to notice with color ranging from green to black.  Mold, if not handled correctly, can be very dangerous and lead to serious health issues for you and your family. 

If you are not sure if you have mold in your home, there are test kits available for purchase, but your best tester may be your nose and eyes.  Mold typically has a strong musty smell and will appear to be growing.  Mold may go undetected for years until you begin a home improvement project and tear open an area or rip down a wall.  If you determine that you do indeed have mold in your house, please stop your work and contact a professional to eliminate the mold.  The health of you and your family is too important to let mold into your home.

Mold treatment professionals specialize in eradicating mold.  They will utilize dedicated mold killers, disinfectant, fungicides, and/or other anti-mold products to ensure that the area is properly cleaned and the mold is eliminated.  Once the mold is gone, you can safely continue and complete your project.

Remember that, whatever your painting needs, you can count on the professional painting team at Gateway FS Construction Services to deliver.  Give us a call at 866-551-3454 and let us help.  We look forward to providing you the best painting experience.