It’s no secret that harvest time is a busy season for farmers. No matter how prepared you are, there bound to be some long days and long nights. At FS Construction Services, we understand the desire to get just one more thing done before calling it day, we also understand just how incredibly important farmers are. So, because it’s really in everyone’s best interest, we’ve put together a quick list of safety reminders to keep in mind if you’re going to be out there this harvest.
- Get Rest. We know there are going to be sometimes when a full night’s sleep just isn’t going to happen. So make sure you take the necessary steps to keep yourself as rested an energized as possible. Drink lots of water, and, if you’re going to be away from home for long stretches at a time, bring snacks. If you can’t give your body the sleep it needs, be sure to give it the food and nutrition it needs to carry you through.
- Take Breaks. Give yourself a fifteen-minute break from time to time. Again, we know much of harvest season is one giant time crunch, but as best as you can, plan ahead and carve out a little time for yourself here and there, especially if you’re going to spend long hours alone.
- Keep in Touch. Speaking of being alone, make sure someone knows where you plan to be throughout the day and keep them updated or ask them to check in on you.
- First Aid Kid. No one likes to think about it, but accidents do happen. Keep a first-aid kid in as many vehicles as you can, just in case. The Mayo Clinic also recommends having a tourniquet on hand as well, just in case an injury does happen and you are alone or far from help.
- Preventative Maintenance. Check the state of your equipment regularly. Clean, well-maintained equipment is far more predictable and safe than the opposite. For more information, take a look at our recent preventative maintenance blogs.
As obvious as these are, we all know how easy it can be to want to cut corners or push ourselves a little too hard in high-stress times. Please take care of yourselves this harvest, and we wish you a successful season. As always, if you have grain storage and handling or seed treatment needs or questions, please feel free to reach out to Gateway FS Construction Services. You can give us a call at 866-551-3454, and let our specialists help you find exactly what you are looking for. We look forward to providing you the best customer service experience.