Summer is a great time to finally get around to all the paint projects that have been building up over the year. With this in mind, our paint expert, Brian “Boomer” Garleb has come up with his top five problems that most paint projects will run into at some point and how to fix them.
- Fish eyes: Fish eyes occur when paint has been applied over oil, dirt, silicone, or incompatible coatings. Luckily, fish eyes are an easy fix. First, you’ll need to remove the grease or oil stain with a cleaning solution. Usually bleach, paint thinner, or trisodium phosphate (TSP) will work. After the area has been cleaned, the area can be sanded down.
- Cratering/Pitting: Another common problem is cratering or pitting. This occurs when air pockets get trapped inside wet film. The solution, however, is easy enough, and just involves sanding or smoothing out the existing finish and applying another coat over the sanded area.
- Uneven gloss: Uneven gloss is when film thickness is not equal, when there’s moisture in the coating, or when a topcoat is applied over wet primer. Solving this problem simply means allowing more drying time.
- Fading paint: Moisture trapped behind paint is more likely to cause paint to fade. Purchasing paint already colored for factory, which has a powder tint rather than a liquid tint, is an easy way to fix this common problem.
- Paint wrinkling: This happens when too much paint is applied. To fix it, remove the bad paint and recoat the affected area.
So there you have it, five common problems and five simple solutions. If you ever have a paint project or other service projects you don’t feel up to tackling, you can let Gateway FS Construction Services know. You can give us a call at 866-551-3454, and let our specialists help you find exactly what you are looking for. We look forward to providing you the best customer service experience.