Large grain bins capable of storing thousands of bushels of crop and grain dryers that are able to quickly dry such huge amounts are a necessary part of agriculture. Unsurprisingly, proper safety and care taken in and around these structures and equipment is a must for any successful harvest season.
How to Have a Safe Harvest
It’s hard to believe, but we are quickly moving through harvest season. For many of our clients and many in our community this means weeks of high stress, little sleep, and hard work. At FS Construction Services we know a thing or two about working under these conditions. In the interest of keeping you safe and productive during this busy season, here are some harvest-time suggestions and safety tips for your grain bins, dryers, and other equipment.
- Never enter a grain bin without de-energizing (turning off) and disconnecting, locking out and tagging, or blocking off all mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic equipment that presents a danger, particularly grain-moving equipment (OSHA). Grain is not a stable surface, and when it’s moving, pockets can develop that will cause grain to act like quicksand.
- Do not enter a grain bin without alerting others. Make sure the person inside the bin always has someone keeping tabs on them, as well as a safety harness or boatswains chair should they need assistance.
- Be sure to regularly clean surfaces, filters, and other areas where excessive dust may accumulate. Grain dust is very flammable and the more dust you have, the higher the chances for an unwanted fire.
- Be careful not to overfill bin with grain. Not only does this prevent ventilation, but it can put unnecessary stress on your structure.
- Plan regular inspections. Make sure chains and bearings are properly lubricated, ladders are secure, safety shields are present, etc.
Finally, be sure to get as much rest as you can during this busy season. When you’re out in the field, be sure to pack protein and calorie-rich food to keep your energy up and combat the tiredness such a hectic time of year often brings.
We wish you a safe and successful harvest! As always, if you have any equipment questions throughout harvest let Gateway FS Construction Services know. With more than 40 years of grain system expertise, from grain drying to grain storage to grain handling and transfer, we are always happy to help. Give us a call at 866-551-3454, and let our specialists help you find exactly what you today. We look forward to providing you the best customer service experience.