For many people, painting is like a trip to the dentist. You know it needs to be done, you know it will be good for you in the long run, and yet you just don’t really feel like doing it. Some paint jobs have the added complexity of hard-to-reach places, lots of surface area to cover, or simply too much time negotiating a ladder. And yet despite all the work, eventually, it will need to be done. Because it’s a task that can require a lot of up-front effort, it’s one of those things that’s easy to put on hold, but holding out too long can cause long-term trouble. So we thought we would point out some signs that it’s time to finally update that old paint.
- Dry rot. Dry rot is caused by fungi that essentially eat away at wood, causing a loss in durability and strength. There are many types of protective paint that can be applied to protect your exterior wood to prevent this from happening.
- Cracking or breaking. When cracking or breaking of the base material is visible at the bottom of a structure, apart from being a sign of some other issues, it’s also a sign that it’s time to apply some new paint.
- Chipping or peeling. This one’s pretty obvious, but chipped or peeling paint is no good. Especially when it comes to outdoor structures, the more paint that chips away, the more exposed the material is to weathering and degradation.
- Color fading. It’s easy to forget just what color something used to be until you see it compared to its old self. Sunlight and a well-defined four seasons will slowly dull the color of your paint over time.
- Cracked or dried caulk. High-quality caulking is made to last ten years. If the caulking around doors and windows is starting to crack, dry, or peel, it could be a sign it’s time to also revisit the paint as well.
- If you have no idea when your structure was last painted, then it might be time to give it some fresh paint.
If you have an overdue paint job and don’t have the time, equipment, or desire to tackle it yourself, please let Gateway FS Construction Services know. You can give us a call at 866-551-3454, and let our specialists help you find exactly what you are looking for. We look forward to providing you the best customer service experience.