A steel building, just like everything else, needs some care and attention from time to time. While they are strong and designed to stand through the decades, a little maintenance here and there will increase their longevity and keep them operational. Our partners over at Walters Buildings put together a handy guide for steel building maintenance throughout the year which we will take a look at here.
Steel Building Preventative Maintenance
Since we just flipped our calendars to July, we’re sure that you already have several annual summer maintenance projects started. Take a look at the suggestions below for your steel buildings to be sure you’re on track. And we don’t need to remind you that with the passing of the Fourth of July, fall is just around the corner. We have some fall maintenance tips as well.
- Check for any sticky locks. If you find one, be sure to oil it. Check the bottoms of your windows for debris in their drain channels.
- Look around your building for signs of pests like: termites, carpenter ants, hornets, wasps, and more. Inspect closely around the columns, splash boards, eaves, and any attic spaces.
- Inspect your siding and trim for gaps, cracks, dents, and holes. If anything is need of repair, be sure to use the appropriate sealant.
- Check your roof for broken shingles, gaps in flashing, etc. If you have a chimney, make sure it’s still secure.
- Clean your gutters and check your downspouts for debris.
- Inspect your foundation for cracks and look for signs of water damage. Make sure the dirt around your foundation is graded so it will drain water away from your building.
- Trim back any plants that are growing up against your building and don’t spray any weed killer on or near steel panels.
- Replace cracked or missing caulk and weather stripping around doors and windows and anywhere where brick and wood make contact. Check your attic’s insulation.
- Oil door, window, and garage door hinges.
If you have any building questions or needs, or if you’re in need of any repair services, please let Gateway FS Construction Services know. Give us a call at 866-551-3454, and let our specialists help you find exactly what you are looking for. We look forward to providing you the best customer service experience.