It’s incredible what a fresh coat of paint can do to a space: liven it up, make it seem bigger, highlight best features, etc. With that being said, there a number of small problems that can derail an otherwise professional-looking paint project.
- Fish eyes. Fish eyes happen when paint is applied over oil, dirt, silicone, or other incompatible coatings. These small, crater-like imperfections can be frustrating, but their fix is pretty straightforward. Before painting, use a cleaning solution to clear away any grease or oil stains. The best available solutions are bleach, paint thinners, and trisodium phosphate (TSP). After the area has been cleaned, it can be sanded and painted.
- Cratering/pitting. This happens when air pockets get trapped in wet film. The best fix is to sand down or smooth out the current finish and then apply a second coat.
- Uneven gloss. Uneven gloss can happen a few different ways: when film thickness is not of equal parts, when there is moisture in the coating, or when paint is applied over a primer that hasn’t fully dried. The fix for this problem is simply, patience. It’s tempting to try and rush a paint job to be done with it, but everything must be allowed to properly dry before painting over.
- Fading color. When moisture gets trapped behind paint, it usually causes the paint to fade. The solution to this problem is in the kind of paint you buy. Purchasing paint with a powder tint, rather than a liquid tint will prevent this issue from occurring.
- Paint wrinkling. Paint wrinkling happens when too much paint is applied. If this has happened, the too-thick coat will need to be removed and then painted again with the proper amount of paint.
Painting is not only a detail-oriented process, but also one that many people would rather finish as quickly as possible. A little bit of patience and extra attention can solve most issues you would run into while painting, however, if you are interested in our painting services, or would like a free estimate, please let Gateway FS Construction Services know. Give us a call at 866-551-3454, and let our specialists help you find exactly what you are looking for. We look forward to providing you the best customer service experience.