Here at FS Construction Services we always like to say that a garage door is one of those things you don’t notice until it stops working the way it should, and then it becomes something you can’t ignore. Because of this, it can also be easy to forget that garage doors are very heavy and can actually be dangerous if they are not maintained properly.
Garage Door Safety Tips
Our partners over at Raynor Garage Doors have put together a useful list of things to keep in mind with your garage door and its specific parts.
- Section Joints are the joints between garage door sections. Think of this part of the garage door like the gap between the door and the wall when you open any standard door. It may fit your fingers when it’s open, but it certainly won’t when it’s closed. When manually opening a garage door, be sure to keep your fingers away from these section joints.
- Corner Brackets are the brackets that are attached to the bottom corners of your garage door. The cables responsible for raising and lowering the garage door are attached to these brackets. Because of this, these brackets are under tension, and should only be removed by a professional.
- Extension and Torsion Springs balance the garage door and provide lifting power. These springs should only be serviced by a trained technician.
- Photoelectric Eyes and Sensing Edges are the sensors that send an invisible beam across the space of your garage door. If this beam is obstructed, by a car, a foot, etc., the garage door will stop closing. Making sure these sensors are functioning properly is necessary when it comes to keeping your stuff and you and your family safe.
- Lift Handles and Pull Ropes allow you to manually open your door in the event of a power outage or a malfunctioning door. Make sure any ropes can’t accidentally hook onto anything when opening normally. Additionally, when opening or closing a garage door manually, be sure to keep fingers, toes, and other body parts clear of the door.
If you are in need of a new garage door or in need of garage door services, please let Gateway FS Construction Services know. Give us a call at 866-551-3454, and let our specialists help you find exactly what you are looking for. We look forward to providing you the best customer service experience.