This has been a strange year so far to say the least. And with schools, many businesses, and social gatherings on hold for much of the spring, it has felt at times like the world has stopped spinning. But, of course, we know that isn’t the case. The temperatures will continue to go up and the rains will come and the crops will grow. Farmers can’t put their season on hold for a few months and pick it back up again, and so, like always, they must go on, including pre-season maintenance.
However the season may look for you, the fact remains that farming is a hard job, and farming equipment has to stand up to a bit of a beating each year. At FS Construction Services, we know that the wear and tear adds up, and few things are more disastrous than your grain system breaking down on you in the thick of harvest. Unfortunately, these things don’t come with a check engine light, but there are a number of signs that can tell you it’s time for a little pre-season TLC.
Grain System Maintenance Tips
Here are a few indicators that your grain bin might need a little pre-season maintenance.
- Excess dirt and debris. Look especially close around roof panels, vents, and connections
- Moisture buildup. Check manholes, caps, and any other opening to make sure everything is sealing properly
- Unsafe electrical connections. Make sure your wiring is secure and not weathered or damaged
- Loose anchor bolts. Tighten anything that’s loose and see if the foundation is still level
- Rust, old grain, other junk. While you’ve still got some time and an empty bin, make sure it’s clean and free of things that could cause rot
Now most of these are pretty obvious tasks that most people are going to be able to perform on their own. But if you’re working with some older equipment or it’s been a while since you’ve had work done on your grain dryer or you’re just the better-safe-than-sorry type, you can let us know. We’ll send a trained technician out to you to perform an inspection on your dryer. Specifically, our techs look at six key areas:
- Fan housing and blades for dirt buildup
- Belts for wear
- Electrical controls and switches
- Gas pressure regulators and LP gas vaporizers
It is a little bit of time and money, but we’ve seen time and time again how a little bit now can save a lot in the future. If you would like to schedule an inspection, or if you would like to browse our selection of stir dryers, counter mix-flow dryers, or counter-flow dryers, let Gateway FS Construction Services know. Give us a call at 866-551-3454, and let our specialists help you find exactly what you are looking for. We look forward to providing you the best customer service experience.